FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- State Rep. Brenda Kupchick (R-Fairfield) said she is pleased with the legislative Judiciary Committee for opting for stricter penalties participants in the "Knockout Game."
Kupchick hailed a vote to increase criminal penalties for sucker-punch attacks coming from bill 429, according to a press release.
The Act Concerning Assault that Results in the Loss Of Consciousness, originated in the Public Safety and Security committee and passed the Judiciary Committee on a 31-10 vote April 14, according to the release.
The act "would impose a mandatory minimum two-year prison sentence for those who intentionally cause serious physical injury, and without provocation, knock someone unconscious by striking a victim in the head," according to the release.
The bill is headed to the State House and Senate.
“With this legislation, we are trying to send a strong message to anyone who might want to engage in this type of behavior that Connecticut is not playing games and this will not be tolerated," said Kupchick, who voted in favor of the proposal last month in the Public Safety and Security committee said. Kupchick noted that the Fairfield Police Department is in favor of the legislation.
Committing such a crime as part of the "Knockout Game" would establish a two-year mandatory minimum sentence, according to the release.
"The knockout game is a disturbing and dangerous new trend is spreading across the country where innocent unsuspecting people are getting attacked for no apparent reason while walking the streets," representatives said in the release. "One such incident happened in New Haven late last fall."