TRUMBULL, Conn. -- Trumbull First Selectman Tim Herbst will not seek re-election to his town office, according to the Connecticut Post.
Herbst announced Thursday that he will not seek a fifth term as first selectman, the Connecticut Post reported. Herbst, a Republican, is planning on running for governor next year, and told the Connecticut Post that he plans on making "a big announcement" next month at Trumbull High School.
He was first elected to office in 2009 at the age of 29, and cited improvements in the town's schools and economic health as successes from his eight years as Trumbull's first selectman, according to the Connecticut Post. The chairman of Trumbull's Republican Town Committee praised the work Herbst has done in his time as first selectman and said he has helped the town flourish, the Connecticut Post reported.
Last month, Herbst announced that he had been diagnosed with thyroid cancer, but that he expected to make a full recovery.
Herbst has so far raised more than $83,000 in his bid for governor in 2018, according to the Connecticut Post.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.