FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. – The U.S. women’s hockey team meets Canada for the gold medal at noon Thursday in one of the most anticipated showdowns of the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Fairfield’s Julie Chu is a member of Team USA and is playing in her fourth Olympics.
Canada has won the gold medal in the last three Olympic games, while Team USA took the silver medal in 2002 and 2010. The U.S. won bronze in 2006. Team USA’s only gold medal in women’s hockey at the Olympics came in 1998.
Team Canada edged the United States, 3-2, in a preliminary round game Feb. 12. While Canada has dominated in the Olympics, Team USA has won the International Hockey Federation’s World Champion four of the last times it has been played. The tournament is not played during Olympic years.
Team USA beat Sweden in the semifinals, 6-1, while Canada defeated Switzerland, 3-1, to advance to the title game.
- 1 McDonald's Shakes Up Menu, Cuts Seven Sandwiches
- 2 Doctor From Fairfield Pleads Guilty To Narcotics Distribution, Fraud
- 3 Brody Family Sues Metro-North After Mother's Fatal Collision With Train
- 4 Fairfield County Home Renovated By 'Property Brothers' Holds Open House
- 5 One Killed In Rollover On I-95 In Fairfield; Two Pulled From Wreckage