FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- The Fairfield Little League Girls Softball 9- and 10-year-old All-Stars meet Waterford for the state championship Monday in Trumbull.
Game time is 6 p.m. at Unity Park. The teams split the first two games of the best-of-three state championship series over the weekend. Fairfield won the opener, 5-2, on Saturday, and Waterford won Game 2 on Sunday, 4-0,
In Saturday's win, Fairfield broke on top in the third on RBIs by Margaret Nolan and Serena Ta. Waterford tied the game in the fourth.
Kylee Holdereid's two-out single in the fifth gave Fairfield the lead for good. Bella Bookas walked with the bases loaded to force Holderied home, and Sara Szuchman scored an insurance run in the sixth on a wild pitch.
Haley Bivens pitched well for Fairfield on Sunday, and made nine assists on balls hit back to the pitcher. Fairfield's bats went cold, however, and Waterford took advantage of some loose defensive play.
The state champion advances to the Northeast Regional in Pennsylvania in August.
- 1 Fairfield Could See Significant Snowfall, Ice From Coastal Storm
- 2 Fairfield Mother Jailed In Case Of Missing 14-Year-Old Son From Norwalk
- 3 Teen Reported Missing A Month Ago In Norwalk Found Safe In Fairfield
- 4 Bridgeport Woman Charged In Fight With Roommate In Fairfield
- 5 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Fairfield With Snow, Ice Arriving