FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- Fairfield American Little League begins play Thursday in the Division 1 stage of the state tournament. If history is any indication, it could be the next stage of an extended summer of baseball for the young ballplayers.
Fairfield American won three straight state titles from 2010 to 2012. Last year, the Americans did not get out of District 2, where Westport won and went all the way to the Little League World Series championship game. Fairfield American has won seven District 2 titles since 2005.
Fairfield American rolled through the District 2 tournament this year, capping the run with a 8-3 win over Westport.
Fairfield plays its first Division 1 game against the winner of game Wednesday between Norwalk and Annex. Thursday’s game begins at 5:30 p.m. in Orange. The complete Division schedule is on the Connecticut Little League website.
The District 2 champion has won four straight state titles in Connecticut, but there is an added tier of playoffs this year. The Division tournament is a new stage, and the winner plays the Division 2 champion for the Section 1 title. The Section 1 and 2 champions in Connecticut meet in a three-game playoff for the state title.
Fairfield American’s roster is Ian Bentley, Vince Camera, Sam Davenport, PJ Egan, Jamie Flink, Trey Hensel, Brian Howell, Brian Kiremidjian, Connor O'Neill, John Reynolds and Jack Steed. The manager is Mike Steed, assisted by Pete Davenport and Keith Reynolds.
- 1 Doctor From Fairfield Pleads Guilty To Narcotics Distribution, Fraud
- 2 One Killed In Rollover On I-95 In Fairfield; Two Pulled From Wreckage
- 3 Driver Critically Injured In Collision With Tractor-Trailer In Fairfield
- 4 Brody Family Sues Metro-North After Mother's Fatal Collision With Train
- 5 Fairfield County Home Renovated By 'Property Brothers' Holds Open House