FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- The Phoenix fifth-grade boys basketball team, an all-star team from Lower Fairfield County, won its first tournament game of the spring AAU season over Bluewave of the Bronx, 57-37, in the "Battle on the Hardwood" at Iona College in New Rochelle on Saturday, April 12, despite missing more than half the team due to injury, illness and spring break.
Phoenix fell behind Bluewave 11-0 in the opening minutes, but Nolan Burke jump-started the offense with a 3-point shot and a field goal to cut the deficit to six.
Phoenix used a full-court press to battle back and carried a 19-18 lead going into halftime.
The Fairfield County squad didn't look back in the second half thanks to three-pointers by Evan DeVita, Ethan Fox, Ben Secor, Davis Cote and Burke.
Josh White, Ryan Howard, Jack Stobbie and Zarek Swetye scored multiple points in the game.
- 1 Hwang, Fawcett Clash On Same-Sex Marriage At Fairfield Debate
- 2 NYC Doctor Is First Person In The Tristate Area To Test Positive For Ebola
- 3 Fairfield Police Charge 70-Year-Old Woman With Assaulting Son-In-Law
- 4 Power Outages Restored In Fairfield After Storm
- 5 Fairfield Police Charge Norwalk Man With Trashing His Kids' Home