FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- Recent Fairfield Prep graduate Chris Alvarado will receive the Fairfield Sports Person of the Year Award at the Fairfield County Sports Commission’s 10th annual Sports Night dinner on Monday, Oct. 20.
Alvarado will receive the award along with winners from 14 other communities at the Hyatt Regency Greenwich. The dinner begins at 6 p.m.
Alvarado is coming off a spectacular senior year as member of the cross country and track teams at Prep.
The Sports Commission is establishing an annual Sports Person of the Year for Newtown as part of its recent working alliance with the Newtown Youth Academy Sports and Fitness Center. Each year going forward Newtown will be included in the recognition of the sports persons in each community in an effort to support the town and its youth following the shooting tragedy at Sandy Hook . This year's winner is coach Maura Fletcher, who led the Newtown High girls' lacrosse team to 10 straight SWC titles before retiring in June. Fletcher was named the Connecticut High School Coaches Association Coach of the Year for girls' lacrosse.
The Sports Persons of the Year from other communities are:
- BRIDGEPORT -- Central High boys' basketball team, Class LL state champions
- DARIEN -- Alex Ostberg, Darien High runner, National 5,000-meter champion
- EASTON -- Chris Thomas, National Men's Masters Tri-athlete of the Year
- GREENWICH -- Austin Longi, Greenwich High football and track & field standout
- MONROE -- Tatum Buckley, Masuk High softball pitcher, Gatorade State Player of Year
- NEW CANAAN -- Max Pacioretty, U.S. Olympic hockey player, NHL standout
- NORWALK -- Cameron Wilson, NCAA individual golf champion
- SHELTON -- Division 10 Shelton Vikings cheer team, national champions
- STAMFORD -- Stamford Stars 12U softball team, New England champions
- STRATFORD -- Stratford Brakettes, undefeated national champion softball team
- TRUMBULL -- St. Joseph High boys' lacrosse team, Class S state champions
- WESTON -- Michael Carter, Weston Stadium Lights Committee/Weston Sports Commission
- WESTPORT -- Hannah DeBalsi, Staples High runner, National 2-mile champion
- WILTON -- Noah Farrell, Wilton High tennis player, 4-time Class L state champion
The Fairfield County Sports Commission is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that is the one-stop resource for the sports community in the area, with a mission of promoting fitness and personal development through sports. For more information concerning tickets and sponsorship opportunities for Sports Night, visit www.fairfieldcountysports.com or call 203-251-8481.
- 1 Fairfield Police: Burglars Took Jewelry From Round Hill Road Home
- 2 Connecticut Report Finds Missed Opportunities To Help Sandy Hook Shooter
- 3 Easton Man Arrested After Crashing Car In Fairfield, Fleeing On Foot
- 4 Bridgeport National Guard Member Killed By Unsafe Lane Change, Police Say
- 5 Police Track Down Suspect After Southport Residents Interrupt Home Burglary