FAIRFIELD, Conn. - Many in Fairfield cheered the news that the National Football League's first openly gay player, Michael Sam, has one of the most popular items for sale online by the league.
The NFL website tracks sales on its site. In the Top 10 of "Hot NFL Items" the St. Louis Rams jersey for Sam is No. 2.
When asked what this could mean for the NFL in the future, Fairfield resident John Muriano said, "Gay, straight, what's the difference?"
But he added that he's not sure how Sam's popularity would affect the league or how quickly attitudes might change.
Robert Gazsi of Fairfield disagreed, saying the newly drafted player would probably change a lot of things. He specifically cited the news that the Miami Dolphins fined and suspended player Don Jones after a derogatory remark on Twitter about the drafting of Sam. The tweets have been deleted from his account.
"It's time to change," Gazsi said.
For Marisa Mazzo of Fairfield, she said she didn't know a lot about the topic but said it was interesting that Sam's jersey was so popular.
"The world is progressing in that direction," she said. The NFL probably wants to be on the right side of the issue, she said.
Sam, who played defense for Missouri University, was the 249th pick in this year's draft by the St. Louis Rams. He had come out as gay in February after the college football season was over.
- 1 Police Charge Fairfield Man With Interfering With Officer, DUI After Crash
- 2 Fairfield Business Falls Victim To UI Scam; Police Expecting Similar Crimes
- 3 Lower Fairfield County Ranked As Most Unequal Place In Nation
- 4 Fairfield Couple Opens Up New Cheese Shop In Greenwich
- 5 Keep An Eye On Your Purse; Fairfield Police Show How Easy It Is To Steal