FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The Fairfield Little League Softball 9- and 10-year-old All-Stars defeated Trumbull,1-0, to win the District 2 championship. It was the fifth consecutive District 2 title in that age division for Faifield, which won the game at its new Dougiello Field off of Hoydens Lane.
The game settled into a pitching duel between long-time tournament rivals. Fairfield’s starter, Kylee Holderied and Trumbull’s starter, Caroline Kuroghlian, were brilliant and both teams made fine defensive plays to keep the game scoreless heading into the sixth.
In the bottom of the inning, Bridget Keary walked and Holderied laid down a sacrifice bunt as Keary sped to third. When the throw to third got away, Keary bounced up and raced home with the winning run.
Fairfield advances to the Section 1 tournament beginning July 17 in Wallingford.
Team photo: The District Champion Fairfield 9/10 All-Star team and coaches:
First Row (left to right): Margaret Nolan, Caitlyn Romero, Kylee Holderied, Haley Bivens, Bridget Keary, Sarah Szuchman, Bella Bookas.
Middle Row: Caroline Belinsky, Emma Romero, Samantha Juthnas, Jasmine Castro, Molly Meehan, Serena Ta
Back Row: Coach Bill Juthnas, Coach Doug Romero, Coach Chris Meehan, Manager Jim Keary, Coach Mark Szuchman, Coach Dennis Nolan.
- 1 Christmas Eve Storm May Impact Travel In Fairfield
- 2 Rollover Accident Cleared From Merritt Parkway Near Fairfield
- 3 One Man Dead After Altercation On Route 25/8 Ramp In Bridgeport
- 4 Fairfield Man Arrested On DUI, Narcotics Charges After Running Red Light
- 5 Two Bridgeport Men Plead Guilty To Robbery Spree In Fairfield