FAIRFIELD, Conn. — During the cold snap in the past several days, the Fairfield Fire Department has responded to numerous weather-related incidents.
On Friday evening, several Fairfield fire units assisted the Easton Fire Department with a house fire that sent the homeowner to the hospital for smoke inhalation, according to a fire department statement.
On Saturday, the Fire Department responded to a frozen fire protection system at the new JP’s Diner on the Sacred Heart University campus. That incident caused extensive water damage.
Later that day, the fire department responded to the home of a senior citizen who was concerned that she was running out of heating oil.
The Fairfield Fire Department helped by obtaining a supply of oil in conjunction with Connecticut Tank Removal — a local response partner — until her regular oil provider could respond.
A local oil company said they were having a difficult time keeping up with demand due to the frigid temperatures.
The area was hit by a powerful nor'easter on Thursday, and temperatures have plunged into single digits with below zero wind chills.
“Advance planning for all types of weather and emergency situations is crucial,” said Assistant Chief Schuyler Sherwood.
Although there are many resources available to assist the community with this type of planning, Sherwood suggested the website www.ready.gov as a good starting place.
In this type of extreme cold, it is important to take extra precautions to stay safe and warm. Some recommendations include:
- have numerous working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors;
- clear snow away from the nearest fire hydrants for easy fire department access in case of an emergency; and
- never discard woodstove or fireplace ashes in or near your home. They should be discarded in a metal container at a safe distance away from your home.
Connecticut residents can call 211 for assistance if they need heat or shelter. Call 911 in the event of an emergency.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.